Hello to everyone, I’m Alejandro, the once main translator of this project. It’s been a couple of years since I proudly made this website and announced the completion of the Akatsuki no Goei translation. Unfortunately, right after that some rather unfortunate events took place. Up until now I’ve voluntarily kept silent out of respect for those who were once in the team, but I feel like I need to break this silence and lay out the truth once and for all, as well as clearing some doubts people may have about the project.
First of all, I want to make clear that I never lied in anything this website claims—the moment the website was made I had a complete translation of the game (still is in my drive). There are two main reasons it hasn’t been released:
- I currently work now as a professional translator for some companies. This was one of my first large-scale commitments, as well as one of my first attempts at translation in general. I can safely confirm that, after revising the entire thing now, most of the translation was, well, pure garbage—it didn’t really reflect how good the original writing is, or accurately represented the contents of the story. In my free time I am retranslating this game, since now I can confidently say that what I’m doing now truly is a good representation of the work, but I want to come out clean—my first run for this project was shaky at best, and I would’ve made a mockery of myself, my teammates, and the game itself had I released what I had two years ago.
- One week after I posted this website with the full completion Sekai Project approached us with an offer to buy the translation, promising to us that they had acquired the licensing rights for the trilogy. I initially was heavily against them doing so, mainly because I’ve already had issues with Sekai Project in the past. Since I knew what Sekai Project was all about I demanded confirmation from them that this license had been bought as they claimed before continuing any negotiations (at this point we never signed any NDA by the way, for those who are wondering). I know it’s hard to justify such a thing without an NDA, but surprisingly they managed to have AkabeiSoft’s 3 representative contact us personally, asking for some cooperation between us and Sekai, since they were discussing the rights for a possible release. Being contacted by them made me change my mind and we agreed to work with Sekai for this release, but only after selling our work directly to Akabei themselves.
A contract was made estimating a total pay (won’t disclose) and requirements for our translation to be accepted. This contract was ultimately never signed for one main reason, that being that they required a ‘PG-13’ release, aka no H-scenes within our work and all swears were to be removed or replaced. I personally don’t give a shit about the H-scenes since they’re bad anyways, but some of them are relevant to the story (I refer to Tsuki’s route specifically). The swears part really ticked me off though; Kaito is a character that is very badmouthed, and a huge chunk of his personality revolves around being, well, a cheeky asshole. Taking out swears effectively would mean that they’d be killing not only him, but many other characters + ruining the game’s aesthetic.
We told Akabei that if they wanted to make business with us they’d have to take out the swears part, but after some back and forth with our mails, Akabei eventually stopped their communications altogether (I’m very well aware this meant they were not longer interested, but honestly it was for the best. They would’ve butchered the game otherwise). Sekai was still in touch with us, but all we got when we asked for some progress on the thing was the usual “We’re working on it, just be more patient,” aka just shut the fuck up and piss off. The long wait and lack of information ultimately killed off the team’s drive, rendering the whole effort null around a year and a half since negotiations started, since no one wanted to keep working on the game anymore except me.
We then reach the present day. At the moment I am currently retranslating the game in its entirety alone. The old team moved on and they’re doing their own stuff. I want to apologize for the silence, but I felt it was necessary given the situation.
I feel like this new translation is definitely something I am proud of, and would like to ask for some patience until I’m finished. Some changes I will do with this project from now on are what follows:
- I will release a prologue patch.
- I will try to be active and share project updates.
- If people ask me for proof of work I can provide it. Just ask through the mail provided on this website and I’ll be happy to oblige. I can also share video showing the full scripts in google, but most of them still belong to the old translation, which is finished, but not good as I previously stated.
- I don’t really want to involve people anymore in this project, but eventually I will need 2 QA’s. Be native and have some experience if possible and you’re in.
- I’ll also require someone to help me with text insertion. I have no clue how to do that. I can’t contact the one who extracted it for me anymore.
I think that’s everything I wanted to say. I apologize once more, and I hope things have been cleared. I wish that I and everyone who’s been waiting for this to be released in a timely manner can move forward.
A. de Vicente.